Friday, March 4, 2011

Self-Patterning Yarn

I happen to love the new self-patterning and self-striping yarns, especially the sock yarns. Before this yarn came on the market, I had no interest at all in knitting socks. Now I knit several pairs a month!! This yarn also knits up some really cute doll clothes, mitts, fingerless mitts, gloves, and even infant sweaters. Love it!

Two different adults asked me recently if I intended to "fix the mistake" before I sold the doll sweater, or while I was knitting adult socks. I was using self-patterning yarn. One adult was a knitter (not a Knitter, since she doesn't knit often and really has to struggle with stitches) who had knit a few things in her knitting career and had never used sock yarn or self-patterning yarn, and the other adult had little experience with needlework in general and was totally clueless about knitting.

Below are two examples of sock yarn. The yarn in blues is knit on size 1 needles; the yarn below in pinks, green, and white is knit using size 2 needles. Both examples have stitches that are half one color, and half another. No, the stitches do not have errors. No, this is not a mistake. This is not an error but rather the magical way that yarn can self pattern.


No comments:

Post a Comment