Saturday, February 7, 2009

Afghan Project

Since I was often knitting, making up stitches, and was becoming a serious knitter, Mom offered to buy the yarn for me to knit an afghan for our family room. I was probably ten and in fourth grade. Mom did not knit but she understood how to interpret the pattern and could help with the directions. I can't remember the colors of the afghan, but do remember yarn overs and how pretty they looked. I was a fussy knitter, would rip out anything uneven or what looked to be a mistake, and eventually figured out how to correct things like dropped stitches, without having to rip. I also remember faking it when the directions said to assemble the afghan strips in a certain way. To this day, I still use my "faking it" way!

The afghan was completed and I was ready for my next project. I really wanted to knit a sweater like I had dreamed of doing when I was in second grade. I asked Mom if she would buy me yarn for a sweater. Of course she said "yes."

No comments:

Post a Comment