Saturday, February 7, 2009

How My Knitting Began!

As a second grader, my family of seven kids and two parents were living in Puerto Rico, and found out after four years of pure heavenly weather at Ramey AFB, that Pop would be relocated to Savannah, Georgia, very soon. None of us even owned a sweater, we school kids wore flip flops to school; we wore "real shoes" to Mass once a week!

I announced to Mom that I would learn to knit and make everyone sweaters so that once we were in "cold country", we would be toasty warm. My Mom, a non-knitter and such a good sport, located a neighbor lady who could show me what to do with sticks and string. I went to her house once after school, only once, didn't speak a word since we spoke different languages, and became totally and completely hooked with the process of moving two needles through hands and yarn. At that time, I didn't care about the product, I was just so thrilled with the therapeutic process of using my hands to manipulate the needles and watch the rows of knitting appear. I was in love with the craft, would knit, rip out, and reknit the same yarn. It was wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome idea for a blog...I need to make myself a cappuccino and read each post! I just discovered how to read my own posts on John's blog and saw your blog! How fun!!

    ReplyDelete