Saturday, February 7, 2009

Knitting Mittens on Double Pointed Needles

My family did indeed move back to the states, and also made a road trip to Norway, Michigan to visit my Mom's older sister. I remember being nine years old and totally fascinated by Aunt Myrtle, who was ten years older than my Mom. Aunt Myrtle could do EVERYTHING and so quickly too! She was cutting home made noodles, checking on home made dinner rolls in the oven, and talking to me at the same time. She asked if I would help her knit mittens for her grandchildren. What a question!

Until Aunt Myrtle asked the mitten question, I knew of no one personally who could knit. Up until this point, I had been knitting and purling and ripping and re-knitting without any project in mind. I was still thrilled with the mere process of two pointed sticks cleverly turning out rows of color. I was totally thrilled when Aunt Myrtle showed me how to knit using four double pointed needles. The pattern was stored in her memory and when I was ready for the next step, I would go ask my Aunt Myrtle. I knit and knit................my siblings and cousins would watch TV and I too would join them but my hands never stopped! During our visit, I knit so many pairs of mittens that my Aunt GAVE me her double pointed needles! To this day, I still knit mittens her way; I still use her gift of double pointed aluminum needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment